Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Midterm Evaluation

Working on the midterm assignment of auditing a wikipedia article was very interesting. I had a feeling that Wikipedia wasn't that reliable, but it's interesting to see how true that can be when you break apart an article. We researched the Jersey Shore TV show and controversies. The way we decided to do it was split up the sources and check into all of them to see which were accurate and which were not. Most all of my citations were accurate, but the thing I did find was that, in some parts, they left out other points of view, which creates some bias. Listening to the other presentations, I feel as if the class came to a mutual decision that Wikipedia is not a scholarly source. I think Wikipedia is a great place to get a quick snapshot of a topic, but not to research something in depth. Also I feel it depends on what you are researching, because, our article the Jersey Shore did give a great overview of what the show was about and the characters in it. More debatable topics though, may not have as accurate facts. I thought it was a very interesting project and am glad I had the chance to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment